Thursday, April 17, 2014

Where can I find examples of the Mariner's guilt in "The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner"?Could people please use quotes to answer the question, I...

I think the best place to start would actually be at the
end of the poem, which concludes the tale and also tells us of the impact of the Ancient
Mariner's story on his audience, the Wedding Guest. We are told that the Ancient Mariner
is plagued by the guilt of his actions in killing the albatross and is compelled by this
guilt to travel from land to land, where he will find individuals whom he knows he must
share his tale with:


readability="23">

Since then, at an uncertain
hour,


That agony returns:


And
till my ghastly tale is told,


This heart within me
burns.


I pass, like night, from land to
land;


I have strange power of
speech;


That moment that his face I
see,


I know the man that must hear
me:


To him my tale I
teach.



This clearly conveys
the huge, massive sense of guilt that the Mariner feels as he is left to wander the
world, sharing his tale with a carefully selected
audience.


If you want other quotes, you will want to
examine the part when the Mariner actually kills the albatross - plenty to look for
there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...