Sunday, February 22, 2015

Can someone tell me exacly what this quote means? "Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reasons."I'm...

I assume that you understand the part about it being the
gravest danger to man and are asking about the rest of
it.


The rest of this quote is saying that racism is very
stupid because there is no reason for it to exist.  That is what the "minimum of
reasons" part means.  The speaker is saying that race is an illusory difference
(scientists say there is more genetic variation within races than between them, so race
is pretty much of a socially constructed idea).  At the same time, however, people hate
each other to the greatest possible degree on the basis of race (maximum of
hatred).


Now, I'm not sure I can agree that people hate
more based on race than on anything else, but this is the meaning of the
quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...