Thursday, February 5, 2015

What is the tone of the second stanza in the poem "Drink to me...?"

I would say that the tone of this second stanza is one of
disappointment and longing.


In this stanza, the speaker has
sent his love a wreath of flowers.  He hopes that it will stay on her and remain
beautiful there.  He is sending it as a token of love and of praise for her beauty.  But
she does not even hardly pay any attention to it and sends it right
back.


Now, the speaker feels sad and he wishes things were
different.  When he smells the flowers, he smells her more.  This symbolizes how much he
is longing for her -- he feels her presence in the roses that she rejected and sent back
to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...