Sunday, February 1, 2015

What examples of irony are there in The Kite Runner?Please help!

There are clearly a number of different examples of irony
operating in the book on a number of different levels. My own personal favorite example
of irony in this great novel, and one that is central to the action, is the relationship
between Baba and his son, Amir, and how Amir is so completely different from Baba, the
bear-wrestling, strong and unyielding individual who exudes his strength and charisma
throughout the entire novel. As Baba himself says in Chapter
3:



"If I
hadn't seen the doctor pull him out of my wife with my own eyes, I'd never believe he's
my son."



The irony of the
situation is that Amir is Baba's son, in spite of how radically different he is from
Baba. Yet, although he has such an "unpromising" start, through the course of the novel
Amir goes on to learn and express the same bravery and strength that Baba possesses in
his quest to free Hassan's son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...