Sunday, February 21, 2016

What were some of the major technological advances in agriculture that promoted the development of the western economy?1860-1900

There were a number of technological advances in agriculture
after the Civil War that helped the economy of the western United States to
develop.


I would say that one of these would be the invention of
barbed wire.  This allowed farmers to keep cattle from destroying their
crops.


I would also point to the invention of various new kinds of
plows.  These started with John Deere's steel-faced plow and moldboard and went from there. 
There were also improvements made in hay mowers, reapers, manure spreaders, planters, and other
kinds of farm equipment.


You also have to think of the railroads as
a technological advance, I think.  It was the spread of the railroads that really made the
western economy viable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...