Thursday, November 20, 2014

Please give an example of apostrophe from Act II of Julius Caesar.

In literary terms, apostrophe is when a person (on stage,
in the case of a play) addresses a person or other entity (like a god or a city) that is
not physically present on the stage.


There are a number of
places in Act II of Julius Caesar where apostrophe is used.  For
example, in Scene 1 of this act, Brutus is talking about why he thinks Caesar is bad for
Rome.  He addresses Rome as if it were a living entity there on stage with him.  He
says


readability="8.1118421052632">

Am I entreated(55)
To
speak and strike? O Rome, I make thee promise,

If the redress will href="../../julius-caesar-text/act-ii-scene-i#prestwick-gloss-2-1-14">follow,
thou receivest

Thy full href="../../julius-caesar-text/act-ii-scene-i#prestwick-gloss-2-1-15">petition
at the hand of
Brutus
!



In the
part that I have put in bold, Brutus addresses Rome and makes a promise to it.  This is
a case of apostrophe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...