Friday, November 14, 2014

What is the tone of the poem "I am like a rose" by D. H. Lawrence? (with references from the poem)

The tone of "I am Like a Rose" by D.H. Lawrence is pretty
hard to miss, it seems to me.  Here the speaker of the poem is comparing himself to a
rose--and the rose suffers by comparison.  In literature, the rose is a traditional
symbol of perfection, purity, beauty, and love.  In life, giving roses expresses one's
love.  With that in mind, making the comparison between one's self and a rose is pretty
ambitious; if someone implies they are better than a rose, we'd probably see them as
arrogant.  That's the tone, I think, of this poem. Arrogance and
superiority. 


The speaker (presumably Lawrence himself) in
the first stanza says he has achieved his "very self," and, like a single perfect rose,
has "issue[d] forth in clear/ And single me, perfected from my fellow."  He is, it
seems, much more perfect than the rest of mankind--the rest of us.  He is separated from
the rest of the more typical, ordinary roses by his perfection--a reality which creates
"wonder mellow" and a "fine warmth."  In the second stanza the self-congratulatory tone
continues:


readability="7">

Here I am all myself. No rose-bush
heaving
Its limpid sap to culmination has brought
Itself more sheer
and naked out of the green
In stark-clear roses, than I to myself am
brought.



The finest rosebush,
he claims, has never--despite its best efforts--produced a rose as perfect as he.  The
tone is clearly one of superiority and arrogance.  He has finally arrived at perfection,
it seems ("I am myself at last")--a perfection which clearly outshines everyone around
him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...