Wednesday, March 13, 2013

In "Just Lather, That's All," when did the narrator last cross paths with Torres?

We are given the answer to this question as the narrator begins
too apply the lather to his face. The narrator comments that he had never been so close to
Captain Torres before in his life. The only other time that he had come face to face with him was
during what Captain Torres defines as his "fine show," when he had caught, punished and executed
some of the rebels that the narrator supports for the "pleasure" and "enjoyment" of the whole
town:



The day he
ordered the whole town to file into the patio of the school to see the four rebels hanging there,
I came face to face with him for an instant. But the sight of the mutilated bodies kept me from
noticing the face of the man who had directed it all, the face I was now about to take into my
hands.



Thus at the time the shock and
the horror of what Captain Torres had done to the rebels prevented the narrator from studying
closely his face - something that he now has ample opportunity to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...