Tuesday, March 12, 2013

In The Merchant of Venice, Act II, what is stopping Launcelot Gobbo from running away?

Launcelot opens Act II, scene ii in an internal argument between
his conscience and "the fiend at [his] elbow."  One, the fiend, is tempting him to run away, and
one, his conscience, is cautioning him to remain "honest" and "scorn running with [his] heels." 
He concludes with the decision to go with the fiend.  He says:


readability="7">

The fiend gives the more friendly counsel.  I will run,
fiend!  My heels are at your command.  I will
run.



But at this moment, he meets up
with his father whom he recognizes, but does not recognize him.  After much convincing of Old
Gobbo that he, Launcelot, is indeed his son, Launcelot reveals his plan to run away and serve
Bassanio.


Bassanio enters and agrees to have Launcelot serve him,
but instructs him to return to his former master and leave his service in an honest way.  And so,
Launcelot does not run away, but returns to take his leave of Shylock and change a Jewish master
for a Christian one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...