Sunday, March 10, 2013

When Candy sees Curley's wife dead and cries what is the source of Candy’s sadness and why?

From my perspective, when I read the story, I saw it as Candy's
tragic realization of what this would do to the dream he had with Lennie and George of buying the
house and land they had planned to.  They had sent the money, and were working for the rest, but
without Lennie or George to help, there was no chance it could ever
happen.


Surely, we can't discount the fact that Candy was looking
down at a woman who had been murdered, and that something bad was going to happen to his friends
because of it, and that all of it was out of his control, but I think the loss of his dream--his
Hail Mary pass, as it were, his last chance at security before he died--being lost was what
caused him to weep over the body of Curley's Wife.


Crooks actually
says it best:



I seen
hunderds of men come by on the road an' on the ranches, with their bindles on their back an' that
same damn thing in their heads. Hunderds of them. They come, an' they quit an' go on; an' every
damn one of 'em's got a little piece of land in his head. An' never a God damn one of 'em ever
gets it. Just like heaven. Everybody wants a little piece of lan'. I read plenty of books out
here. Nobody never gets to heaven, and nobody gets no land. It's just in their head. They're all
the time talkin' about it, but it's jus' in their
head.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...