Tuesday, March 31, 2015

How is it that Parliament could sincerely pass the "Act of Supremacy"?

I am not sure what you mean when you ask how Parliament
could do this "sincerely."  I am going to assume you are asking how they could just go
and declare that there was a separate English church with Henry VIII at its head.  I
assume you are thinking that they should have realized that they could not just make a
new church by law -- that only God should be able to decide who heads the
church.


If this is what you are asking, I would argue that
what Parliament did was no worse than the way that the Pope was already acting.  In
other words, it's not like you had the Pope acting in a religious manner while
Parliament acted badly.  Instead, think about why the Pope wouldn't let Henry have his
divorce.  It was a political reason, not a religious one that led to this.  The Pope was
pretty much a prisoner of Catherine of Aragon's nephew and so the Pope had to do what he
said.


If the Pope is making his decisions based on
something other than God's word, then why should Parliament feel bad about breaking away
from the Catholic Church?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...