Sunday, March 8, 2015

Why might political revolts slow development?

If you are talking about economic development, I would say
that political revolts slow it because they destroy infrastructure and because they make
people feel uncertain about the future of a country.


The
first of these is pretty obvious.  If your country has oil and a rebel group destroys
pipelines that carry the oil, your country's development will slow
down.


The other is less obvious.  Let's say you have a
bunch of money and you want to start a company or invest in someone else's company. 
Will you really want to do this in a country that is having political rebellions?  I
think that you would worry that the rebellions would end up destroying the company and
making you lose money.  So you would invest somewhere else and the country with the
rebellions would not develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...