Saturday, May 19, 2012

Which character or characters develop markedly in As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner?Which character or characters develop/s markedly in As I Lay...

Dewey Dell may be the character with the most obvious
development in As I Lay Dying. Many of the characters
possess psychological depth, but Dewey Dell faces challenges within the narrative that force her
to change her mind about her world in ways the other characters do
not.


Some specific challenges Dewey Dell faces which lead to change
in her character:


  • Upon the death of Addie Bundren, Dewey
    must take over the role of mother for the family, especially in relation to Vardaman. This
    changes Dewey Dell’s status in the family.

  • Pregnant and seeking a
    remedy for her condition, Dewey Dell lies to her family and sneaks off to a pharmacy where she is
    given bad advice and, ultimately, taken advantage of by a clerk. Dewey learns that she cannot or
    should not trust the town-folk and that she should rely on her own innate sense of what is right
    and what is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...